Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, solid
- ½ – 1 tsp salt (depending on preference)
- ¾ cold water
- In a large bowl, add salt to flour and mix until evenly distributed.
- Add in coconut oil and use hands to knead oil into flour until pea-sized particles start to form and dough becomes somewhat sandy.
- Slowly stream in cold water until dough starts become one cohesive mass and knead until elastic and smooth (about 3 minutes).
- Cover and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 1.5” balls for a smaller tortilla or 2.5” balls for larger tortillas. Cover and let rest for another 10 minutes.
- Flour a clean surface and pat down balls into flat disc shapes and use a rolling pin to roll discs into thinner larger rounds (about 2 mm).
- Heat pan over medium-high heat and place thin round on pan, one at a time until bubbles begin to form on one side. Flip when bottom side has begun to brown with small brown spots (30 sec). Remove from heat when both sides are covered in light brown spots.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Serve warm with fillings of choice.
Send us your questions and comments below!
If you enjoyed this video, share it on Facebook & Instagram or email it to a friend.
Share your tortilla creations with your virtual community using the hashtag #growcookexplore and tag us @MEarthCarmel.