Thank you for your interest in working with MEarth!
Please visit this site for MIIS Federal WorkStudy Opportunities.
We are currently seeking the right person for the following position(s):
If you are looking to apply your passion for environmental and science education and outstanding leadership at a one-of-a-kind social good organization … MEarth needs you!
Seeking an experienced Executive Director to take the helm of MEarth in early 2019. Please apply if you are an eco-leader who is dedicated to educating and inspiring the next generation of environmental stewards and science adventurers.
You will guide our programming, marketing, operations and fundraising efforts, while overseeing stewardship of our incredible 10-acre “Habitat,” production micro-farm/garden and LEED-certified culinary classroom and building. You will lead and collaborate with all levels of staff, school districts, funders, community partners, grantors, donors, and clients via in-person, email and phone/video meetings.
MEarth’s Executive Director (ED) is responsible for propelling the organization forward. Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
MEarth’s ED is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization as well as the long-term vision and sustainability, supported by our Program Director and Property Manager. She/he provides direction to all staff members in support of MEarth’s Strategic Plan and board directives and is ultimately responsible for all administrative, financial, human resource-related, fund development, programmatic and planning functions, including:
- Leading the organization’s strategic planning and managing implementation.
- Developing and maintaining operational policies and procedures.
- Directing, managing and mentoring staff.
- Overseeing continuous improvement of all program activities.
Public Relations and Marketing
MEarth’s ED is our primary spokesperson and most visible and active community representative, he/she is expected to:
- Establish and maintain strong, working relationships with MEarth’s key partner and client, Carmel Unified School District.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships within the community to support MEarth’s mission and long-term sustainability.
- Increase MEarth’s public visibility by promoting awareness of MEarth’s programs and value via social media, monthly and as-needed email communications, community presentations and speaking engagements.
- Ensure dissemination of information about MEarth to donors, partners, stakeholders, the community, local businesses and the media.
Our ED is responsible for all fiscal oversight and daily financial management of MEarth operations, including but not limited to:
- Preparing an annual operating budget to the Board of Directors.
- Developing department budgets with appropriate team leads.
- Monitoring income and expenditures on a monthly (or more frequent) basis.
- Working closely with MEarth’s external bookkeeper and accountancy firm to ensure fiduciary responsibilities are addressed and in support of all legal requirements utilizing Quickbooks.
- Overseeing timely financial reports and maintaining financial controls.
- Managing all banking responsibilities, invoice payment/creation, payroll etc.
Fund & Donor Development
MEarth’s ED is responsible for overseeing all fund development activities including planning, implementation, and evaluation. This includes grant research, proposal development, grant writing, monitoring, and reporting responsibilities. Responsibilities include:
- Manages grant-related research, proposal development, writing, submission, fiscal management, implementation and reporting.
- Develops and monitors implementation of MEarth’s fund development plan in concert with MEarth’s Board of Directors.
- Oversees our Neon CRM (customer relationship management) database.
- Guides implementation of fundraising goals and strategies. Oversees annual appeals and fundraising events including, but not limited to, MEarth Day, The Glass Pumpkin Patch of Carmel and Sustainable Chef Dinners.
- Cultivates new donors and nurtures existing donor relationships through regular communications and an annual Donor/Volunteer Appreciation event.
- Cultivates and establishes new partnerships for MEarth in terms of program offerings and sponsorship/fundraising events.
- Produces an annual report, and documents the financial condition of the nonprofit along with the accomplishments and future plans of the organization.
Skills + Experience:
- 5+ years of experience as Executive Director of a non-profit organization preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in education, science, agricultural or non-profit leadership and management. Advanced degree preferred.
- Knowledge or background in science, STEM initiatives, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and California’s K-12 educational requirements; science and environmental education experience is a plus.
- Awareness of sustainability, localized food systems/farming, land stewardship/conservation, and culinary/hospitality/event production is also a plus.
- Demonstrated grant writing and leadership abilities, managing budgets, and supervisory experience; track record of effectively leading a fast-paced, outcomes-based organization and diverse staff with the ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Capacity and experience identifying goals and individual priorities, mapping out the appropriate steps to achieve success, monitoring and tracking data, and delegating effectively.
- Highly organized and comfortable balancing lots of concurrent tasks, to-do’s and often conflicting priorities.
- Proficiency or the capacity to learn a variety of software and web-based tools including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, online communications, and NeonCRM.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission driven, and self directed
- A commitment to nature and the importance of education youth in the protection of the environment.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the following Google form to apply:
You will be asked to upload a single PDF that includes your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. You will be required to login with a google account.
No phone calls or emails please.
MEarth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.