Thank you for your interest in working with MEarth!
Please visit this site for MIIS Federal WorkStudy Opportunities.
The mission of MEarth is “to educate and inspire through environmental stewardship.”
We meet this mission by inspiring youth and adults alike to be better stewards of our selves, our communities, and our environment. We provide hands-on, experiential learning opportunities to PK-12 school groups, county agencies, partner nonprofits, local businesses, and interested citizens at the ten-acre Hilton Bialek Habitat adjacent to Carmel Middle School.
About The Position:
MEarth seeks a Stewardship Educator to co-lead Mearth’s education programs, and support other programming as needed. The Stewardship Educator will teach students and adults how we can better care for ourselves, our communities, and our environment.
This is a unique opportunity for the right individual to thrive by delivering academically rigorous, standards-aligned educational programming in the Hilton Bialek Habitat, our organic garden and culinary classroom, as well as on off-site habitat restoration projects.
The Stewardship Educator coordinates many educational aspects of MEarth’s programs, including, but not limited to:
- Using MEarth’s facilities to teach PK-12 grade environmental stewardship classes using the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Teaching PK-12 students about healthy eating and lifestyle choices by leading them through the growing, preparing and cooking of foods harvested from our organic garden.
- Coordinating restoration projects at local natural areas.
- Supervising volunteers who support MEarth’s educational programs.
- Support in developing community partnerships, leading frequent weekend programming, and supporting with annual fundraisers.
- Coordinating staff and programming for summer camp.
- Experience and interest in developing standards-aligned science curriculum
- Ability to make outdoor learning and education fun and engaging
- Bachelor’s degree in education or science related field
- 1-3 years of experience as an educator
- Outdoor education experience
- Experience in public speaking
- Knowledge of local ecological systems
- Experience managing groups of students in an outdoor setting
- Ability to meaningfully engage volunteers who are providing MEarth with habitat and garden maintenance
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, creative work environment, as well as work independently in a highly organized manner with a keen eye for detail
- Kitchen and/or culinary experience
- Organic gardening and/or farming experience
Additional Beneficial Qualifications:
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector
- Well versed in Apple products and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Calendars, Google Drive).
- Passion for inspiring youth into leadership areas
- Experience working with underserved communities in nutrition and outdoor education
- Experience facilitating events/workshops
- Knowledge and direct experience integrating seasonal garden produce into nutrition curriculum, scaling recipes, bulk purchasing etc.
- Experience developing and documenting curriculum for PK-12 education programs
- Experience utilizing impact evaluation tools
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
The Stewardship Educator will be involved in a wide variety of physical activities related to outdoor and garden education, and must be comfortable teaching outdoors in all weather conditions. The Stewardship Educator will regularly need to  bend, crouch, or kneel to access information and/or to assist students from ground level to 4.5 feet above the ground;  push, pull, and lift instructional equipment and supplies;  sit on chairs or the floor, lean over for prolonged periods of time, and reach in all directions, and  work outdoors for prolonged periods of time.
Hours and Compensation:
We are seeking to fill the Stewardship Educator role on an on-call (part-time) basis as well as on a full-time basis for our 2019 summer camp and/or 2019-2020 school year.
Please specify whether you are interested in the on-call (part-time), summer full-time and/or full-time 2019-2020 school year position in your application.
Salary and vacation packages are competitive.
Please follow the link below to apply. No phone calls please.
Successful completion of the hiring process is contingent on applicant passing a multi-agency livescan fingerprint/background check and TB test. (paid for by MEarth)
MEarth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.